Tuesday, February 10, 2009

ABC's of Sun Valley Days (by Karen (Aven) Gibson)

A
Art lessons
Senia Atkinson, one of our elders wives taught many people art in her home

B
Bus
Bus Barn

Remember the flowers that we had on the bus during the height of the “flower power” 60’s
Lots of work was done on the old buses as I am sure Jerrel Kirksey can testify

I also remember sorting clothes to give to the needy in the bus barn

C
Cradle Rolls Class
Teachers such as Ms. Roye, Jodeen (Sweetie) and Bonnie to name a few played a role in helping our babies grow up to be Christian young men and women

D
Ditch
Deacon’s Breakfasts

For some reason I remember a car that was stuck in the ditch in front of the church building and how David took that opportunity to teach our children the dangers of drunk driving

The elders cooked breakfast for the deacons and their wives

E
Eating
As in every church I have ever attended, one of the favorite pastimes at SV was eating together.

F
Fellowship hall
This was the location of many potlucks and of my wedding reception

G
Gym
It seemed like all of us who had children about the same age, had to make a pact that we would all leave church at the same time because if one of our families tried to leave early, the children were upset because they had to stop playing with their friends.

H
Halloween Parties
Decorating the gym and dressing up

I
Ice Cream Social
We looked for any opportunity to fellowship

J
Jeremy
Jack Arnold

David’s and my son who was born while we were members there.

Jack was a wonderful song leader who also impacted my life as a school band director.

K
Kelly
David’s and my first child born and grew up until elementary grades at SV.

L
Lawndale
Elders at Lawndale bought the land the SV was built on.

M
Mohawk (the best camp) or was that Columbus?
Mother’s Day Out
both hold fond memories of relaxed fun and great friendships

MDO led first by Dorothy Beene, then Carolyn Smith, then me

N
New Building
I’ll never forget how excited we all were when the new building was built and we had the wonderful classroom space as well as the great gymnasium.

O
Open Bible Study
Taught by Bob Grigg and taken and used by many

P
Pot Luck’s
There’s that food again

Q
Quit
Members of SV never Quit running into each other over the years.

R
Ron & Pat Hill
They were a huge part of my teenage years, I babysat their children, learned from them formally and informally and Ron married Dave and I

S
Singings
Sunday night at someone’s house
Area wide and 5th Sunday

You didn’t have to have anything fancy to eat, just someone to come home and visit after church

T
Tropical Storm Alicia
blew the church steeple off

U
Humberto Hernandez
I know this starts with an H, not a U, but in absence of a U I used a U sound. Humberto created in many a desire to help Christians in Mexico.

V
Vacation Bible Schools
Visitation
Dressing up like Bible Characters
Crazy singing in the auditorium

Who can forget Jack Baten’s visitation teams and visitation dinners

W
Workroom
The envy of every other congregation; manned by Lillie, Glenda, Elaine and others.

X
X-rays
What my dad had after he drove David’s motorcycle up the outside wall of the church fellowship hall.

Y
Youth Devos
I remember watching the Ed Sullivan Show with the Beetles at Jack and Mary Jones house after a devo

Z
ZZ’s
Hope I haven’t put you to sleep with my Alphabetic Walk down memory lane.
One day, we will all fall asleep in the Lord, and won’t it be wonderful to have a huge reunion with all our brothers and sisters in Christ.

No comments: