Sunday, June 29, 2008

Favorite Church Hymns

Church hymns have no doubt changed a lot since the 1960's when the Sun Valley congregation first began meeting. I was only a few years old so I don't remember what songs were traditionally sung, but I would imagine that when the invitation was extended "Just As I Am" was sung so often that you didn't require a song book. I also would imagine that some from that generation don't always enjoy singing the newer praise songs today, but would prefer singing the older, more traditional hymns from time to time. Songs such as "On Jordan's Stormy Banks," "Shall We Gather At the River?" and in preparation for communion, "Night With Ebon Pinion."

Some of this same generation has not gotten caught up with the age of the internet much less the idea of actually leaving comments on blog sites such as this one, but stay with me if you are reading this post. What songs do you remember singing that became either your favorite golden oldies or were the thorn in your side because you sang them so often? I actually remember a Vacation Bible School were our theme song for that year was "To God Be the Glory." Now I have no problem with the idea of that song, but we sang it in our opening and closing assembly for a week, and to this day I cringe when it is led. My mother in law, who will be 84 this year feels the same way about "I'll Fly Away" and pretty much slams her book closed because she dislikes singing the song.

In closing, I'll leave you with the words from the first verse and chorus of "A Beautiful Life" which I actually still like to sing from time to time because I like hearing the bass lead on the chorus.

Each day I'll do a golden deed, By helping those who are in need; My life on earth is but a span, And so I'll do the best I can, the best I can.

Chorus: Life's evening sun is sinking low, A few more days and I must go To meet the deeds that I have done, Where there will be no setting sun.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Sometime during our Sun Valley years, there was a huge citywide rally where churches from all over the city met at the Coliseum. I think it was called a Crusade for Christ. That is the first time I remember singing "How Great Thou Art" and I still think it is a beautiful song of worship. When many of us were in the youth group, whenever we sang "Soldiers of Christ Arise" we would stand. Our initiation as church leaders. :) And of course there were the VBS songs, like "Father Abraham". Good memories. Who can add to the song titles?

Anonymous said...

Karen, I think it was either you or maybe Debi (Baten) Kirksey that reminded me that we used to sing "Blest Be the Tie" upon arrival back to the church building after a youth devotional, roller skating outing or whatever. We would sing at least the first and last verse and have a prayer before getting off the bus. --Debbie (Richter) Blackburn

I think the city wide youth rally at the Music Hall/Coliseum was the final one at the end of the summer. I remember going to something that lasted all day with various speakers including Jimmy Allen and song leaders like Ray Walker who were the "big names" in ministry at the time. During an afternoon break, they handed out sack lunches to everyone! It was always our favorite part of the evening when they asked the youth leaders to stand and give the count of how many they brought. Although not like being high school rivals, we always tried to outdo the "other valley" (Hidden Valley Church of Christ)and have the most in our group. Such fun memories.