Saturday, August 9, 2008

Pulpit/Youth Ministers (Part 2) - Personal Favorites

To the best of our ability and recollection, we listed the former ministers in a previous post (June 17): Don Humphrey, Chester Grimes, Ron Hill, Don Dye, Sonny Todd, Bob Grigg, Gary Richards, Winston Atkinson, Leonard Driskell, Steve Shannon, and Coy Day.

Now although this post may cause some controversy, we would like to know which minister you considered as your personal favorite and why. I will start off by listing Brother Grimes and Ron Hill. Brother and Sister Grimes were such a sweet couple and so dear to my family. Although they were no longer working with Sun Valley at the time, Brother Grimes baptized me at the Heights Church of Christ when I was nine or ten years old.

Pat and Ron Hill and their "children" have been friends of our family since Sun Valley began. We have many great memories of times shared with them at summer camp as well as at the Monday night youth devotionals when Sun Valley had a friendly competition with Hidden Valley to have the largest group in attendance. My parents also drove me to Hidden Valley many times to see a particular young man who attended there. Last but certainly not least, my best memory is of May 12, 1978, when Ron married Jack and I, and Pat sang with a group at our wedding.

What favorite memories or stories do you have about any of these ministers? Who made the greatest impact on your life or was a part of your family in a special way?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have 2 favorites. First is Ron Hill. He was a burst of new energy for us. It was under him that the teenagers were taken seriously and as an importance. We started to have devotionals and get togethers after the services. They were always at someone's house and sometimes we went out to eat they went to their house. We also started youth ministeries and became involved in many different aspects of spreading the word. I learned more with his guidence than with any of the other ministers we had previously. He made everyone feel that they mattered. Second was Leonard Driskell. I leaned differnt things with his guidence. He was also the one that married Larry and myself. THANK YOU BOTH FOR ALL YOUR CARING

Jeanie Justus Graff